Friday, August 16, 2013

"pay it back"

Tuesday was my first new teacher orientation out here in Minnesota.  We began by going around the room, introducing ourselves.  Everyone had to share where they went to school, what they teach, and where they are going to be teaching.  Of course, everyone went to school in Minnesota.  I was the only one who said I went to Brigham Young University - which, coming from four years of teaching in Utah, made me feel out of place.  About 5 introductions after me another girl said she went to some Minnesota university but then said she had been teaching in Salt Lake for the past five years.  What?!  A fellow Utah teacher.  I didn't get to talk to her because they were immediately pumping us full of information about benefits, sick days, how to get a sub, etc...

The lady I was sitting next to was also a special ed teacher who would be teaching at my school.  She had previously been teaching an autism unit of about 15 kids in Irvine.  Both of us are new to the middle school scene.  She will continue to teach the autism unit at OGMS, but will have a caseload of three with two aides.  Lucky, lucky lady!  I am glad I am not the only new one and I have a feeling I will really like working with her.

After the training, Sarah approached me and said, "So, what is the one thing you miss most about Utah?"  Instantly, I said the mountains.  She told me she missed Cafe Rio.  We started talking about all things Utah.  We laughed about typical "Utah" things.  For example.  In Utah, teachers are always drinking diet coke.  Everywhere else, it's coffee.  I told her that we have only been in Minnesota for two months and she said something about assuming we have found a welcoming ward.  I told her of course and than asked if she was LDS.  She shook her head, but told me that she loved her friends in Utah.  She even got emotional, talking about how much they took care of her.  They invited her to wedding showers, baby blessings, and relief society when they taught.  She told me about Sunday dinners and how so many of these people became a part of her family.  It was very obvious that she had great love for the people she met in Utah.

It made me feel good.  It warmed my heart.  I have always wondered what it must be like to live in Utah for those who aren't LDS and talking to her made me proud.  I am glad that she felt welcomed and not pressured.  I am proud that her friends were brave enough to invite her to listen to them teach.  It made me proud to be from Utah and especially to be LDS.

As we finished our conversation, she said, "You know what.  Because Utah took such good care of me, I am going to pay it back.  Call me if you need anything or just want to take a go at making our own pulled pork salads."

I am so grateful for that experience.  Grateful that Utah was so good to Sarah.  Grateful that Sarah opened up to me.  Grateful for the joy it brought to my heart.  I want to be more like Sarah and I hope we stay in contact as we bring a little Utah to Minnesota.

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Love this. What a great story. I have the cafe rio recipes if you ever want them! :) I fed them to some pretty stinkin' excited missionaries who were longing for it so.

Institute for Internet Safety said...

I just like this blog. I even amazed with Sarah for she was not hesitating to show her gratefulness of Utah.God bless you both!