Friday, June 6, 2008

the Gospel, saying ciao, horses, and basketball




Yesterday was probably our biggest day yet. I had to say goodbye to my little girls...
We were a little late getting to service, but it was for the best reason. We sat down for what we learned today, is not almuerzo, but comida. haha It was really delicious yesterday, but as we were talking with Yolanda she mentioned she had a friend whose mother had just passed away. She then asked us what we do when some one passes away. So we talked about how we believe in eternal life (mind you this was the most difficult thing i have ever had to do in Spanish and there is just so much I want to tell her!). We believe in the Resurrection which turned into talk of Christ. Once again, she was surprised to see we believe in Christ. This turned into him visiting the Americas and the Book of Mormon and then she was very interested in the temple. We tried to explain baptisms for the dead and sealings. It was a very good thing Nat and I were together because while one was speaking the other was thinking of what to say next. Neither of us could have done that alone.
Then I got to service like 20 minutes late and as I was walking down the hall I could hear the girls asking where I was. Normally they don't sit in the kitchen so I was confused but the moment they saw me...they rushed me, held hands over my eyes and walked me the forever long distance down stairs and through turns, to their room. When they uncovered my eyes the room was full of balloons and they had written us letters on the chalkboard. It was adorable. We danced and took pictures. Although, the little girls couldn't come over so I had to go visit them. I just love them so much. At 4:15 we put on a little show for them - had no idea we were going to. We closed by singing I Am a Child of God in English. When it was time to say goodbye, girls were crying. I was hugging two of the older girls and a little one, Violetta, came and buried her face in my legs. When the older ones left I knelt down to look at her and she was so distraught. She was sobbing and had tears all over. That was all I needed to see before I was right there crying with them. We said goodbye for over half an hour and I just couldn't stop crying. I pretty much had to run out of there because every time I tried to leave, another one would call my name. They are amazing girls and I really hope they find the best in life.
Then it was off to horseback riding. We of course were close to an hour late...it was a good thing Hermana Stallings was with us. So we get there and they pretty much saddled all 30 of us in not even 10 minutes and we were off. I think my horse's name was Maromas...not completely sure though. My horse had this thing for kicking and trying to bite. No joke, he kicked both Marc and Mindy when they rode by me. Then who knows how many horses he got. I could feel him when he was kicking too...he would move like we were going to fall forward. After we road for about 30 minutes they let us take off in an open field. Ashley's horse had a thing for mine and followed us everywhere. It was convenient for me and Ashley. Anytime I could get mine to move faster than slow - ashley and her horse would be there running next to me. Tons of fun but I don't know that I have ever had so much dirt stuck to my body.
We finished this fun activity around 7:30, giving us just enough time to make it to applebees to watch the Lakers and the Celtics...sadly, after more than half an hour of trying, we were informed they didn't have ABC. I was a little distraught. So excited to watch basketball...but the american food was sort of nice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always cry when I have to say good bye to you too :(