Monday, November 14, 2011

swimming

I have missed a few days - a weekend that I am very thankful for, for many reasons, and I will try to catch up.

But tonight I am thankful for swimming.  I know this is a strange one, but it makes me happy!  Water is definitely my element.  So much so, that if I could pick any super power it would be to be able to breathe under water.

Some of you might be surprised to learn that once upon a time ago, I was a fairly decent swimmer!

I was born a water baby - always wanted to be in the water, never wanted to get out.


 Dad taught me to swim at a pretty young age and I remember just wanting to race my best friend Alyse anytime that I could. We grew up at the pool with regular visits to the beach.


I knew that once I got to high school, I was going to start swimming competitively.  When spring oh my freshman year came around and swim was getting ready to start, mom and dad decided to go on vacation and I was going to miss the first week of practice.  Back then, I was shy and timid and decided just not to swim...I wish I had started then.  But, it's ok, I started with the swim PE class the next year and swam varsity for the next three years. Long story short, coach forced me to learn to be pretty good at the butterfly (all I can remember is that I eventually got my 50 fly to under 30 seconds...), but my true love was backstroke.  Goodness, those were the days of tan lines and great shoulders...

...and not so glamorous swim pictures

But let me tell you why I am thankful for it today.  Porter and I went swimming together tonight.  I LOVED it. I love the feeling of water all around me.  I love how fast I feel and think I am moving.  I love how each pull through the water makes my arm stronger.  I love kicking until my legs burn.  I love holding my breath until my lungs are ready to pop.  I love sweating, but no one can tell because I am in water.  I love the cold of water bottle water while I stand in at the wall (if that makes any sense at all!).  I love flip turns!  I love that the smell of chlorine still gives me butterflies.

I am grateful for my body that can swim.  I am so thankful that my dad taught me how to swim.  I am thankful for Alyse who helped me learn to be competitive.  And I am grateful to Coach Baker.  He saw potential in my butterfly and pushed me.  He only made me swim breaststroke once (haha mostly because after that, he realized my breaststroke was slower than half of the JV team...).  He gave me the responsibilities of team captain for two years.  He helped my passion for teaching swim grow.

And now, I dream of teaching swim lessons/water therapy to students who have disabilities.

No comments: