Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Counting my blessings, one by one.

I know everyone has started listing things they are thankful for this month and I am going to have to copy that because I have become overwhelmed, to the point of an achy heart, of things/people/memories that I am grateful for.

I want to start with my parents.

aren't they just the cutest!?
 
Dad has always said that he met mom on his mission.  That's partially true.  He served in Paraguay while my mom's family was living there.  Mom was going to BYU at the time, but would visit during the holidays.  Grandpa was in the mission presidency and dad would go to their house and knew mom's family.  Grandpa found a picture of dad eating dinner with the family and dad has a picture from a conference and just two rows in front of him you can see my mom and aunt Michelle.  But, they really met and  fell in love at BYU (of course)!

They were just kids, my age even, when they had me.

notice the baby faces. also notice how they weren't sure how to do baby hair.  mom was lost on the whole straight hair phenomenon that i was born with.

My whole life, they have been my closest friends.  Yes, they laugh at me (but who can blame them, I am funny!).  Sometimes they call me things like a Diva - this has become mom's new favorite name for me and I can't figure out where it came from but she thinks it is hilarious.  Sometimes they even get mad at me...oops. Now that I am home, mom will sometimes make an extra sandwich for me (thank you thank you mom!).  Sometimes dad will help me figure things out like insurance/benefits and new tires.  Mom will even come in while I am cleaning my bathroom to make sure I am not mixing the different cleaners (that made me laugh).  Both of them check in on me because I am still their little girl and I love that.

I went into the kitchen this morning and both of them were there.  This is the greatest thing about living at home.  I get to talk to both of them about everything and anything, in person.  They are there to guide, support, counsel, comfort and strengthen me.  They understand the things I am feeling and sometimes, I think they still know me better than I know myself.  It would have been a really rough morning for me if I hadn't had them there to talk with me about the things that were worrying me.  So thank you mom and dad for making time to be there this morning.




I also love how much they love each other.  This morning my dad was doing the dishes.  Mom came in a little surprised, but then just smiled.  They make each other laugh.  They make us laugh with them.  They pray together.  They serve together.  They go to the temple together.  They are a wonderful example of what I someday want.  Last August, they celebrated their 24th anniversary.  So sweet, I know.

yep. sometimes they still kiss in front of us - it used to be gross.

I think they have done, and are continuing to do, a wonderful job raising me and my siblings.

So, mom and dad, thank you.  Thank you for being the best parents for me.  Thank you for your examples, your patience, and your love.  I love you guys so much.  

With all of my heart,
Your kukiluki

No comments: