Thursday, November 17, 2011

parents

Tonight, I am thankful for parents.  Yes, I am very grateful for my mom and dad (see 11/9/11) , but I want to recognize the parents of my students.  These are superhero parents.  They are overlooked and rarely get the recognition and thanks that they deserve.

We had our Thanksgiving feast at lunch today and invited parents to join us.  It was just the school cafeteria cold turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie lunch - so nothing exciting or too appetizing - but we had a good amount of parents show!  I loved every minute of it and was teary eyed more often than not.  There was a feeling of unity in my classroom this afternoon.  All stresses disappeared because my classroom was a place where no parent was going to be judged because of their child, a place where they understood each other. and a place that my class has filled with love.  I got to see the precious moments when my students saw their mom, dad, or grandpa at the door.  I got to see the bond that they had with one another.  Everyone was smiling, parents were sharing stories, and students where introducing their friends.  It was more than wonderful.

I know that having a child with special needs is not easy, but I also know that a family would not be blessed with such a child unless they were absolutely amazing and capable of loving/learning from a child with special needs.  I say blessed because it really would be a blessing to know that you have been entrusted with one of the sweetest souls on the earth.  I say it wouldn't be easy because I know it would be one of the hardest trials a family could go through...

So, I want to send my gratitude and love to all of those parents who care and love for a child with special needs, especially to the parents of those whose children have been in my class.  I recognize everything you do for you student - whether it is making him a peanut butter and nutella sandwich because it is his favorite or making sure she looks absolutely beautiful everyday for school.  I have seen the pain of not knowing where he or she is...and I have also seen and felt the joy of the reunion.  I am amazed with the things you push to see your child accomplish.  I see your faith and feel your love as you help them reach for their dreams.  I have seen you sign them up to compete in special olympics, take dance classes, or play soccer with ball as big as them!  I see you take family vacations, just like any regular family, like Disneyland or cruises.  I love your courage and your desire to allow your child to experience everything a normal child would.  Thank you for your example of selflessness and pure love.

No comments: