Saturday, September 21, 2013

Childhood Cancer Awareness

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month.

April 29, 2012 - a few weeks after he was diagnosed.  Just a few chemo's in.  His hair was just starting to fall out.

I haven't said much about cancer for awhile, but it is still something I think about very often.

For those of you who don't know, my brother was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer last year - Ewings Sarcoma.  April 6, 2012 was a day we will never forget.  Even now, as I think about that Friday, it is hard for me not to cry.  But, as terrible, as hard, as horrible, as scary as that experience was, my brother has officially been in remission for about 9 months now and we are so blessed for that.  That year took so much from us, especially from Porter, but it also gave us so much perspective, blessings, and time together.

 I loved the night's Porter would let me stay with him at the hospital.  We would order pizza from The Pie and play Call of Duty (I was terrible - he would fall asleep mid game and I still couldn't win)

Syd's high school graduation.  Porter and the sisters.  Lots and lots of love.

Porter still doesn't like talking about it and has given me a few stern talkings to, because I talk about it more than he likes, but I think that is pretty typical of a teenage boy.  Someday, I will be really interested to see what he has to say about that experience.

 Pre-amputation

Getting used to life with a prosthetic.

More on childhood cancer:

There is so much in the world of childhood cancer that I didn't realize until Porter had to fight it.

Did you know that the American Cancer Society donates less than a penny for ever dollar donated to childhood cancer research?  That number is far too low and makes my heart hurt.  I was blown away with how many kids we met in 2012 who were undergoing treatment for cancer.

The finger prick is always the worst part, but totally worth it.  Saving lives.

I found this site with a list of childhood cancer facts.  What an eye opener.

Anyway, there are lots ways to give.  Today, Ashton and I donated blood.  I used to think people were always donating blood and I didn't really need to.  Then there were days when Porter had to go get blood transfusions and I realized how much it was needed.  We went to Chili's after we donated blood.  Chili's has an awesome fundraiser happening THIS Monday.  100% of their profits will be going to St. Jude and the fight against childhood cancer.  So, eat at Chili's on Monday.  You can attend fundraisers for these children.  Porter's was put together by Anything For a Friend.  They do fundraisers for cancer patients of all ages.  You can always start there.

My brother - the most amazing kid I know who has become an inspiration to so many.  xoxo

2 comments:

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Cancer is indeed a treacherous disease. My own father was diagnosed with cancer & died six months later, that's why I was deeply moved by your blog. Thanks for posting!

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Cancer is indeed a treacherous disease. My own father was diagnosed with cancer & died six months later, that's why I was deeply moved by your blog. Thanks for posting!