Saturday, April 7, 2012

my hero

A lot has happened in the last few days.  Mostly a lot between Thursday and now.

I was down in Provo until late Thursday night.  When I got up for work Friday morning, I found mom sitting downstairs, already awake (strange since the kids are on spring break and everyone has been sleeping in).  I said good morning to her and walked into the kitchen to grab some food.  She quietly told me that we were fasting today.  By the way she said it, I knew that something was wrong.  I looked at her and I couldn't help but start crying.  Here is the story as I wrote it yesterday while sitting in the hospital:

"Porter has had this huge lump on his leg for the last few months. It's just above his ankle. Dad took him to the doctor yesterday and they just thought it was swollen until the MRI. At 9:30 last night, they called mom saying he needed to see an oncologist at Primary Children's.

So here we are. At the hospital. Hannah came with me to school this morning.  I told my aides what was up and after a few hours at school, they told me that they felt that we needed to be in Salt Lake with Porter.  So Hannah and I left school early to meet the family at the hospital. Michelle got us from the lobby and brought us up just in time to see Port before his biopsy. I got to give him one big hug. He told me he'd see me in an hour and a half, you know how he is, strong and brave.  We are lucky we left when we did or else we wouldn't have had the chance to see Port before he went under.

I guess before Hannah and I had arrived, the doctors told my parents there was a pretty good chance that it was cancer. They told them to prepare for a long year. After Porter heard that, he told my dad that he'd rather it be him with cancer than anyone else.

So we sat in the waiting room for about two hours. The first call was to say that the biopsy was inconclusive and that they needed to get more of a sample. 


Another hour went by...

A doctor with a grim face took mom and dad into the consultation room. Two more doctors joined them. Michelle, Hannah, and I were left outside crying.  Lyman joined us not too long later.

Half an hour later, the longest half hour of my life, the doctors have finally left and dad pulls us into the room.

Porter has cancer. Ewing's Sarcoma. I hate it already.  


After talking with the doctors, dad told us this story:


Porter was still in surgery when the doctor delivered the difficult news for us. Dr. Jones asked us if Porter was a good kid. Mary Ann and I could scarcely communicate how special he is. Then Dr. Jones said, "After he has this experience, he will be even better." That's almost hard to believe, as Port is the kindest, nicest kid on the planet!

All of this while Porter is still in surgery. Three and a half hours later. They are putting a permanent port in his chest for the chemo that will probably start next week. How do we break the news to my only brother, the boy that I love more than anything."


Porter came home last night.  He isn't in much pain (after lots and lots of medication) and has been in and out of sleep most of the day.  He has been so strong, I can hardly believe it.

Dad has created a facebook page for any of you who want updates.  It's called "Porter's Update Page".  Feel free to join - it will probably be the easiest/best way to hear what is happening.

3 comments:

Katie said...

i can't even imagine, tati. our prayers are with you and your family. you are strong!

Alison Rae said...

Oh Tati, I am so sorry to hear about this. Steven and I will be praying for Porter and your family. You are all so strong and I know you will get through this. I love you very much!

brooke said...

lots of love and tears here. i can't imagine how scary this all must be. our love goes to you and your family. i'm sure that a family as close as yours is just what porter needs right now. thank goodness he has a big sister like you tati.