Thursday, April 26, 2012

jumbled thoughts

I have been working on two posts...










And I just can't seem to finish them.

One is about my cruise.  That's right, I went on a cruise!  But I haven't given the world any proof of that trip yet and it needs to be shared.

The other one is about the miracles that have touched our lives since we found out Porter had cancer.  I don't know if I will ever finish that post because there have been so many and they just keep coming!

I am really emotional today.  My heart is full - still overflowing.  I just...I don't know where to start.

The doctors told us that everyone reacts to chemo differently, that maybe he wouldn't even lose his hair!  Which we figured would be the outcome with Porter's FULL head of hair.  Yesterday, Porter admitted he was starting to lose hair.  He is afraid to shower because of it.  Now, this does not mean it will all disappear, it might just thin out, or that might have been it.  No one really knows yet...but still, it broke my heart.  Before, it wasn't real, this whole cancer thing, because it hadn't physically changed my brother at all.  But now it is starting to and I can hardly stand it.  He goes in for his second round of chemo tomorrow.   Everyone always looks forward to Friday - it's finally the weekend!  But this has been one week that I wish could've gone on forever.  I am not prepared for more chemo and I'm not even the one who has to endure it.  How can he be ready?  I am on the verge of tears.  The back of my throat is tight and sore from trying to keep composed at work.





I went on a date last night (surprise! I know), but before I left, Porter and I spent some time sitting outside together.  Yes, that stud is my brother and he makes me so happy.

Also, we (meaning some of my family and a cousin) are "training" for the American Fork Canyon Half Marathon.  This is a pretty neat story.  First of all, I hate running.  It is so definitely not my favorite.  Really.  Not my favorite.  But on March 16th, Kelsey sent me a message on facebook, asking if I wanted to do this half marathon.  It was a run whose proceeds go to those fighting cancer.  I said yes, mostly knowing that we wouldn't really!  We never signed up (I told you I didn't think we would end up doing it!) and then three weeks ago, we found out that Porter would be joining those fighting cancer.  By the time we realized we HAD to run, registration was sold out.  Dad got in touch with someone and they got us 6 spots in the run.  So now I (the girl who still hates running) am running 13.1 miles on Saturday, June 23rd - two days after Porter turns 16.  Perfect.

5 comments:

Jason and Kelly said...

Porter is such a stud! He definitely has the amazing Thorkelson hair the rest of you have, but he also has the handsome face to go along with it. Pretty sure he is going to be a heart breaker hair or no hair! Way to go you guys running that half marathon! You totally can run 13.1 miles and I bet you will love running by the end of it. I wish it wasn't sold out- I would love to be doing it too! Love you Tati!

Andrea ♥ said...

Tati, I am so sorry to hear about Porter. He is certainly blessed with you and your sisters there with him. I couldn't imagine how you feel as his sister. I will be saying prayers!! ♥ Andrea

Janae said...

You are amazing, Tati!! I love reading your blog and seeing all of your updates. I'm praying for you and your family!!

Rachel Wattson said...

Yay for doing things to support our family:) Rockin' the blue today for Porter. Love you all!

Alison Rae said...

I am so proud of you for doing the half marathon! You all will rock it! My heart has also been full from all the love I have seen and the support you and your family are getting. Thanks for sharing all these amazing stories on your blog! I love you!!