Sunday, September 15, 2013

social media

Social media is changing the world.  It's everywhere.  We are constantly on it.  People make friends through it.  It connects your life.  You see what friends you have in common and suddenly the world is smaller.  It blows my mind and I know that I rely on it.

The last few weeks though, I have been amazed at how it makes me feel like I am friends with people I haven't talked to in years.

I remember hanging out with a group of girls in elementary school.  Back then we were all friends.  As we went through middle school and high school, we started going out separate ways.  We made new friends and started discovering our talents, our likes, our interests.  By the end of high school, we still smiled at each other, but we really didn't know one another like we did in elementary school.  We were now acquaintances.

Fast forward 5 years.

Now everyone is on facebook.  And then there is my favorite, instagram.

Guess what, I am "friends" with / "follow" many of these girls who were my friends in elementary school.  AND NOW - I feel like we are friends again.  Some of them are married now.  Others even have kids or are pregnant.  Some are going to school.  Some are still in San Marcos, others are in Northern California, Texas, or New York.  For so long, we fell into those stereotypical high school rolls.  Those no longer exist.

Someone who graduated with me created a Mission Hills Alumni Young Business Professionals so that we could take advantage of the many skills that our friends now have.  What a neat concept.  Of course, I live thousands of miles from them, but maybe someday it will come in handy.

At first, it seemed funny.

A few weeks ago, I tried to explain to my mom how Maddy is now my go to for help with our new T-25 work outs.  "Mom, remember Maddy?  She was great at soccer?  We were in the same class in 5th grade (I think).  Well, ya, we are friends and she...."

But really, I think it is pretty amazing that I can be friends with them again.  It makes my heart happy to see that so many of them have found success, love, and happiness.

And now, I feel like my dad. :)

1 comment:

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Social media has it's own advantages & disadvantages. We can't deny that a relationship is built through this, but we just have to be responsible & matured enough using it.