Tuesday, September 3, 2013

back to school

Happy first day of school from Minnesota.

It's amazing how their summers actually make it all the way to Labor Day and it's always that way!

This is the start of my fifth year teaching.  I can't believe it has already been five years.  It makes me feel old.  The last three years have been spent in the same class which is amazing!  I was able to build relationships with my students prior to them coming to my class because they were at my school.  Teaching 4th-6th grade was the greatest.  I loved having my students with my all day and being so involved in their lives.  Many of my students were in my class for multiple years.  I became a part of their families and they became a part of my heart.  I have raved about my job over and over again and I could rave about it 100 times more.

Today was the start of a very new teaching experience.  I guess that is one of the great things about being able to teach special education.  This year I am teaching at a middle school, something I never thought I would do.  Middle school just seemed like it would be tough.  On top of teaching middle school, I am also teaching in a resource setting.  I am more of a support for my students as they access the general education curriculum.

Well, today went pretty smooth!  My students, for the most part, are a hoot to chat with.  Some of them have already stolen my heart.  Lots of them are 6th graders and remind me of some of my sweet kids back in Utah.  The best part is my prep time!  Oh sweet prep time.  It is amazing to be productive at work and not feel like I am neglecting my students.  Love that prep time.

I think I am going to like it here.


1 comment:

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Good luck on your first week of teaching. I know it will flow smoothly because you love your work. You are a kind of person who gives her 100% determination in a certain field. Thanks!