Monday, January 18, 2010

Feliz Cumpleanos a mi Mami


Mom's birthday - January 19th. I wish I could be with her more than ever this year. As I have gone through this last hard few weeks, she has come with me. She has a ton on her own plate but here she is struggling with me through my sad days.

My mom has given up so much for us kids and the older I get, the more that I notice it. I worry that I don't have the selflessness
yet. She has been such an example to us of a
willingness to serve and she is dedicated to love. She is still so protective of me and I forgot that. The other day she told me that I am still her baby cub, and just like any momma bear, she would do anything to try to keep me from hurting. Sweet huh :)

Last night I was driving Kelsey's boyfriend home and was just telling me how cool my family is - I guess Ijust forget because they are mine - but seriously, I have a cool family and the coolest mom.

I remember the first time mom tried to teach me how to dance. She turned on Back to Life by Soul II Soul (a song they seriously still play all of the time on the radio in Provo!) and proceeded to dance around our kitchen in Emerald Heights. hahaha I could not dance (it is something I am still working on), but mom, she can move. Over Christmas break we had a few spontaneous dance parties and mom broke out the Jerk. I was amazed and I still watch the forbidden recordings I have of it when I am sad. It's amazing how happy it makes me.

Mom raised us listening to the good stuff - America, James Taylor, Harry Connick. With dad it was Van Halen, Police, good stuff too. But when mom played music, I would sway my head back and forth. Dad's music made me rock out, nodding my head. haha

Mom is my supporter. You want a guinea pig? ok - go for it! You got home this morning at 3 and you want to go running at 9? You sure? alright. Hey, I think it is time to go look at Anthropologie.
When I was your age - my parents lived halfway across the world! Imagine how hard it was for me. I wish you could all have the opportunity to watch BYU football with my mom. She is a crazy
fan...maybe even more than me.

Happy Birthday mom. I love you so much.

2 comments:

danielle said...

Happy birthday to your mom :)
Sorry you've been going through a rough time! You'll get through it just fine! Keep smiling

Unknown said...

Thank you honey--I love you more than words can say. XxOoXoXXoo