Friday, September 10, 2010

in memory

of September 11th.

My school did an amazing job remembering that day that happened 9 years ago tomorrow.

This week my students and I collaborated to create a letter to send to the soldiers fighting overseas. Actually, they did it all, I just wrote it big so they could copy it. It was really moving to see what they thought of those service men and women fighting for our country. This is the letter:
Then today a firefighter came in and gave them some safety tips but tied in 9/11 and the firefighters who became heroes that day. Then Amazing Grace was played on bagpipes up and down our hallways. It was all very moving.

I will forever remember that day. I was in middle school. For some reason, I would wake up at 5:00 am everyday. I remember listening to 9.33 and them talking about airplanes flying into the Towers. I had no idea what that meant but it was all they were talking about so I figured it was important and I went to tell mom. She didn't believe me. Told me that the radio was just saying things and since I didn't know what the World Trade Centers were, she didn't know what building I was talking about. Then my aunt called her a little later and mom ran downstairs crying to turn on the news. All day at school, our teachers were disappearing into their little offices to watch the news. We were living history they told us. It is amazing to see the United States come together the way we did and continue to do every year. The firefighter told the kids the story of the firefighters holding up the flag at ground zero. How proud I am to be an American, to call that flag mine, and to look to it as I say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning with my students.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Ditto. You said it all. I'm glad we got to celebrate that today. Love you!