Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Memorable Memorial Day Weekend

This Memorial Day weekend has been one that I will never forget.

Friday I went to the funeral of Jenny Ames. She was in a car accident driving home from BYU Idaho a little over a week ago. I did not know her personally, but I know her mom and her mom was always talking about her. She was "too perfect" her mom told me. I was very touched by the service and it was very apparent that she lived as an example of Christlike love.

After the funeral, Michelle picked me up and we went to visit the cemeteries where my great grandma and great great grandparents are buried. What a wonderful experience, one I am very glad Michelle shared with me.

Then that night it was off to Vegas. As many of you might know, a good friend of mine, Robi, passed away last October. I still think of Robi nearly everyday. Well, Robi's parents invited us down for a BBQ at their place on Saturday. So I left with SEVEN boys (lucky me right!?) and we made it to Vegas at about midnight on Friday night. We explored the strip until about 3:00 a.m. when we headed to the Sundell residence.

The next morning through early evening was spent outside, swimming, eating, and playing a game of fishing - the boys could've done that for hours on end. It was wonderful. The Sundells were so very nice and I could not be more grateful for them. I loved seeing where Robi came from. I saw Robi's gigantic heart in each of his family members. There was no contention and a whole lot of serving all weekend.

After playing all day we ate at Robi's favorite restaurant - Farm Basket. Yum! Then it was off to the strip again. This time we wanted to get home semi early. I went up to the Stratosphere with two of the boys to ride those insane, crazy things up top. It was like I was up there, ready to die! I was so scared but eventually got on two of the rides. A thrill...but I screamed more than anyone else and unless I feel really brave, it would take a lot to get me to do that again!


Oh! I also finally saw the Bellagio Fountains! They ended with the National Anthem - pretty neat.


Sunday we went to church with the Sundells and then it was back to Provo with a few stops a long the way in Mesquite and Parowan (where the boys got to shoot BB Guns and sling shots, of course).


All weekend I have really thought that I am the luckiest girl I know. Even now, as I talk about it and tell people what I did, I can't stop thinking it. I am so glad that the boys thought to invite me - it means more than they will ever know. I have absolutely LOVED every single minute and memory I have with these great boys that I met three years ago in Liberty Square. They have become family to me and of all the kids I have met at BYU, they have stuck around the longest. I love them. I am so grateful for the Sundells and the love that they have shown us. I am grateful that I got to see how Robi became Robi. I know that am so blessed to have known Robi. He never fails to touch my life and I am trying my best to become a better person through the lessons he taught me.

1 comment:

Alison Rae said...

1. You ARE a lucky girl!
2. Oh THAT neon green shirt! I like that one. I thought you were talking about the neon yellow one!
3. You and Sam may or may not look really cute together in the one in front of the fountain! :)