Saturday, May 1, 2010

I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus

It all started a few months ago when one of my 7 year old students realized he could hold his breath under water. His mom told me the news and told me with teary eyes that he came home and said, "I can hold my breath under water! I can get baptized!" His mom talked to him and told him that he was perfect and didn't need to be baptized. To this he responded, "But mom, I am trying to be like Jesus."

So this morning he got baptized! And it was the sweetest thing I have ever seen.

He got into the water and was a little shocked at how cold it was. He clapped his hands and kept walking in with a gigantic smile on his face. His dad baptized him and when he came up out of the water, he turned towards all his family and friends and threw his arms in the air and squealed the most innocent, happy, blissful noise of pure joy. Not a single dry eye.

The confirmation was pretty special too. He is obviously a blessing to everyone who comes into contact with him. He knows the Holy Ghost, he knows my Savior, he knows what is happening in this life and the next. He is full of love, pure Christlike love, and I see that everyday.

After the baptism and confirmation, I got up to leave and sort of slipped by him, hoping to catch him as he came to the front, but he went back towards my seat to find me. He just started saying, "Where's my teacher?! Where's my teacher?" I called out his name and he ran right up to me and jumped into my arms. Bokelson he says. It melts my heart.

I don't know what I will do without him in my class next year. I sure love him.

4 comments:

Alison Rae said...

Oh my. Still not a single dry eye. That is so wonderful. What a blessing he is to everyone in his life! Even people like me who read your blog! Glad you got to go to his baptism! Love love LOVE YOU! and miss you!

Francesca said...

What a sweet experience!

Unknown said...

I wish I had been there! Tell him congratulations from your mommy. I love you Bokelson!

thorkgal said...

How sweet. You'll be glad you wrote it down. Definitely a keeper.