Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

Today was a particularly hard day - especially for a Sunday.

My mind has been anxious, worried, stressed, preoccupied, chaotic...any and all of the above. This has been such an amazing school year and it is coming to a close this Thursday. I have worked with ten of the very sweetest and most special students and five ladies who have changed my life forever.

These ladies though, have and continue to go through things that I could never imagine. Their strength, endurance and perseverance is amazing. Their love for the students is obvious and definitely felt. They have become five people I know I can always turn to for advice, support, help, and anytime I just need a good friend.

A lot is happening. I spent all of Sunday school trying to focus...and I just couldn't. Life can be so hard and it almost hurts me even more to see it be hard for those that I love. The worst is that sometimes you can't fix it, you can't make it go away or never happen.

Then the opening hymn in our sacrament meeting was "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." This happens to be my very favorite hymn. I love the third verse more than anything. Normally it is the first half of it that sticks with me, but today, the second half of the verse was what I needed.

"He lives, my kind, wise heav’nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while he lives, I’ll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there
."

I felt the peace I needed after singing this hymn. Its words are true and have become a strong part of my testimony of my Savior. He truly is my friend and through Him I can return to live with my Heavenly Father. He broke the bonds of death, not only for me, but for you too. He lived and died so that we could overcome death. I love that this verse ends saying, "He lives to bring me safely there." It makes death not as scary. He is able to guide us all through life and I am sure He is there to guide us after it as well.


No comments: