Wednesday, May 26, 2010

year one comes to an end

Tomorrow is our last day of school and it's only a few hours long.

I can't even believe it. I have grown so much here at Brookside with my very special class. I have become a real teacher - a real special ed teacher, that is. I have had my hard days, but they have been FAR outnumbered by the days where I come home overjoyed with the career I have chosen. I have been squeezed, scratched, bit, pulled, jumped on, pushed, smelled the smelliest smells, yelled at, spit on, and the list goes on and on...

BUT I have been loved. I have been a shoulder to cry on, the lucky one to wipe away tears . I have been hugged and on occasion I have received a very sweet and innocent kiss on the cheek. I have been served, and even more, I have been given the opportunity to serve. I have been touched by the Spirit and I have looked into eyes that have instantly seen my heart. I got to be at the sweetest baptism I have ever seen. I have been laughed at and laughed with. I have been "HEY, HEY, HEY YOU!", "Bokilson", "Teacher. Teacher! TEACHER!!", "Teddy", "THHHHHHorkelson", and sometimes, Tati. I have made friends that I will have for all eternity, friends that I cannot wait to see once I am done here.

I have developed relationships with 5 amazing women who have shown me love and have taught me life lessons that I will never forget. I have seen them go through unthinkable trials, but remain strong. I have seen them love and forgive. They tucked me under their wings this year and accepted me as the 20 something intern who had to be their boss. They will never understand the impact they have had on me.

I have seen lives change, including mine. I have seen hearts grow, behaviors disappear, brains learning, goals being reached and even exceeded. Friendships have bloomed, and I have watched a classroom become a family. I have both seen and felt true Christlike love. I couldn't have asked for a better situation as an intern.

1 comment:

Alarie said...

i'm so happy for you! and i love hearing about all of your adventures!