Monday, August 9, 2010

Remember me?

I have this strange talent where I remember EVERY single face I have ever seen. I can recognize people that were in my kindergarten class. Impressive, considering how much you change between 5 and 22!

It sounds like a great thing to be able to do, right?

Not really. I used to talk to everyone I recognized. Most of the time they look at me and have no idea what I am talking about. "Ya, we were at EFY together 6 years ago. Land of Sharon? Remember our counselors were Micah and....", then I just stumble and sound like a total creeper.

It happened again today. I was at Kneaders with my mom for lunch. A man walked in and I knew his face. It was President Stoddard. President Stoddard was the Mission President of the Carlsbad Mission while I was in high school. I loved his firesides and he also was at a few of our Missionary prep mutual activities. I remember being sad when it came time for him to be released, but then that summer he spoke to our stake at stake youth conference at BYU. I really looked up to him and so when I saw him today, I knew I had to say something. He recognized someone nearby and asked what her name was, but never told her his name! I was dying and I didn't want to be a crazy. Finally I just asked what his last name was. I was right. I told him I was from San Marcos and he asked who I was. I told him that I was a Thorkelson and whether or not he really remembered us, he genuinely acted like he did and I am so grateful that he did. He later came over to my mom and said, "Now there's a lady I recognized."

It certainly makes you feel nice to be remembered once in a while.

** on another note: Usher has a new song. It's called "Hot Tottie." Now, I am not recommending you go look it up, but I heard it on the radio today and was so confused because it sounded like he was saying, "You can be my hot tottie." I sure got a good laugh out of it. I know a hot tottie is an alcoholic beverage (at least, I think it is?), but I am pretty sure that is the closest my name will ever come to being in a song! Score.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Tati I know exactly how you feel! That happens to me all the time I always remember people too :)

Shelby said...

I know how you feel too! I remember people all the time.. and I'm not sure if they remember me. For example, one time I saw you on campus and I (obviously) remembered you, and I wasn't sure if you remembered me, but then you said hi.. and then I was like, duh, we used to play like every day together so.. we better remember each other! PS we need a little reunion soon. I just love your blog! Keep it comin'. Hopefully I will see you soon!

--Shelby