Sunday, June 23, 2013

when family comes to town...

The Smith's came to spend a few days with us last week and it was so nice to have family around again.

It also gave us an excuse to go out and explore our new home a little more.

They got here Saturday afternoon and we were off.  Our first stop was Minnehaha Falls.  The falls themselves were in the park and so after we walked down to them, we decided to do a little walking. 


Then we stumbled across the Minnesota Lock & Dam No. 1.  As we were leaving, one of the locks began to fill up.  It was amazing how fast it did!



Sunday was Father's Day.  Michele and I made pulled pork sandwiches and some pasta salad.  Then Tony, Michele, and I went on a walk through the forest trail close to our house.  All of the sudden the wind picked up and dark clouds rolled in.  We turned around and hurried home as fast as we could.  All I could picture was us walking into a wall of water.  It got a little spooky with the wind howling through the trees and it suddenly going dark.  We even came across a tree that had been knocked down.  And then the rain came.  We made it home only semi soaked - that was an adventure.

Monday started with Michele and I taking a walk around a nearby lake.  I sure married into some amazing in-laws.  Michele and I were able to talk about this and that and everything in between.  Even once we made it home from the two and a half mile walk, we sat in the car and kept talking for another 15 or so minutes.  Then I was off with the gang to visit the Mall of America while Ashton went to school and studied.  I didn't take pictures in the mall, but holy cow, it is pretty impressive!  There is an entire theme park in the middle.  Four stories of shopping.  We didn't go into many of the stores - I didn't want to spend money.  So we just wandered and I know we didn't see everything!  There was even an aquarium - Ashton and I will be back to visit it I am sure.

That night we went to the Pizza Ranch.  The Smith's had seen it on their way to our place and knew we had to go.  It was a pizza buffet and it was pretty good!


Tuesday, I took off with the crew again (while Ashton went to school and studied).  This time we went into the city and walked through the Mill District and across the Stone Arch Bridge.  Oh my goodness - the city is beautiful!  I am in love with the parts it I have seen.  After that walk, we went over to Dinkytown and the University of Minnesota.  What a beautiful campus!


Wednesday, Michele and I took another wonderful morning walk and then we hung around at home waiting for Ashton so we could go explore together.  We had a nice little walk planned around the Como Zoo, but once we made it to the zoo, we pretty much hung out there and were too tired to finish the walk.  Obviously, the giraffes were our favorite!



Have I mentioned how humid it is out here?!  Such a difference from Utah.

Ps. We spent every night playing Yahtzee and eating ice cream.  It doesn't get better than that!

Thursday, we had to say goodbye to our visitors.  We were sad to see them go.  It was so much fun to have a house full of people we love. 

Thanks for coming.  Miss you guys!



1 comment:

KickButtMommy said...

Sounds like a GREAT visit!