Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Princess Millie

Today my heart has been heavy.

I found out this morning that little miss Millie Flamm passed away.

I am at a loss of words.  She was perfect in every way.  She fought cancer like a princess.  She made Porter smile when he didn't have much to smile about.  In fact, she made all of us smile.  Millie had your heart the minute you met her.



On Christmas Eve, my family and I went up to Primary's to wish Porter's cancer friends a Merry Christmas.  I will never forget how excited Millie was to receive a simple stuffed animal from us.  She squealed.  She hugged it.  She smiled.  She thanked us.  What a sweet memory.

Then there was that time when she was supposed to go to the Justin Bieber concert, but couldn't and nearly all of Utah reached out to Justin, asking him to visit her.  And he did.  And I will forever love him for it.













This is what my dad posted on facebook this morning, so I apologize to those who have already read it, but I have to share.

"We're sad to report that our little friend, Millie, passed away this morning. You may remember Millie from the news stories when Justin Bieber delayed his SLC concert to visit her in the hospital (she had tickets for the concert, but sadly she relapsed and could not attend). She was an amazing little girl who had the whole Thorkelson family wrapped around her little finger. We are deeply saddened at the news of her passing. 

Saturday, June 29 there is a 5k in her honor and to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancers. Details can be found at www.milliesprincessrun.org. We encourage all Utah friends and family to join us. Sign up before June 22. Last year it sold out, so hurry.

Lastly, we share the video her family made a few months back. What a beautiful little girl and family! I believe in a loving Father in Heaven who has the power to make all things right in this world, and the next. I know Millie and her family will once again be reunited. http://youtu.be/RROMOL-BxRk"

I am so grateful for the example Millie was to all of us in her short life.  She fought with grace and a smile.  I wish I was in Utah to run for her on the 29th - so if you are in the Salt Lake are, go run it for me.

Her family was unbelievably strong and spent more time at Primary's than we could ever imagine.  When we went on Christmas Eve, they were all there with a little Christmas tree up on the window ledge.  I can't imagine how hard Christmas in the hospital must be.  My heart hurts for them.  I hope they know how much we look up to them, what an example they have been and continue to be, and that our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Cancer sucks.

No comments: