Saturday, June 15, 2013

AF Half

Today was the American Fork Canyon Half Marathon.

I ran it last year and still get emotional while thinking about it.  It was quite the experience, one I will never forget.  I ran it for Porter, who was in the thick of his fight against cancer at this time.  The first "run for..." sign that we saw along the trail was for him.


I am grateful for that run.  Grateful for those who ran it today.  Grateful for those who run for their loved ones fighting cancer.  This beautiful run donates all its proceeds to cancer patients in our community.

 I am grateful for Spencer who ran with me.  Grateful for friends and family who supported me and my family for those long 9 months and continue to do so even now.


This morning, I got a text from one of my aides who was running it saying, "Look who I met!"  Then I got this picture.

I missed home instantly.  My aunt Michelle is on the left and DJ is on the right.  Michelle does everything for her nieces and nephews.  I had no idea that she was running today and I wish I was running with her.  I spent a good part of this year watching DJ transform.  She has worked so hard and today ran a half marathon!  I couldn't be more proud of them and I wish I was there to cheer them on!



This run will forever mean so much to me and I hope that maybe next year I can be there again.  My life has forever been changed by Porter's battle.  It is something that still hurts when I think about it.  How lucky we are to still have my handsome brother with us when so many aren't as fortunate.  No matter how cancer touches your life, it changes it entirely.

I am grateful for my Porter.  Who turns 17 in 6 days.  Completely cancer-free and getting ready for his last year of high school.




I am feeling homesick for the first time since we moved to Minnesota (a whole two weeks now).  Good thing Ashton is totally worth it.  Love love love.



***I  must confess that I haven't ran more then 5 miles since my go at the half last year.  I don't know how I did it, but I have a feeling it was probably all thanks to my Porter Strong bracelet.

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

One of my friends' sweet little girls has battled Ewing's Sarcoma as well, at age 10. Glad Porter survived. Sorry you miss your family. I know that is hard!

DJ Rose said...

I love your blog, but it makes me cry every time I read it. It was such a cool coincidence to meet Michelle. We were pacing each other the whole race. Then my friend asked Michelle who she was running for. Well, I knew that story and asked if it was Porter. We instantly changed from "competitors" to supporters and family friends.