Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sir Woodrow of Stone Abby



Mom just called to tell me that we had to put our Woody down. We all knew it was coming, he had huge tumors growing on his leg...but I thought I would get to see him when I came home for Easter. They buried him back in the corner of our lot and mom said that it was like heaven back there today, with the orange trees blossoming and the sun shining.

We got Woody the week we moved into our house, about 8 years ag0. He has been a part of life there and I cannot imagine home without him. He was always the first one to greet me when I would visit home.

Woody always seemed like a puppy to me. He was a happy dog who loved the water. On hot summer days, he would knock the water our of his bowl and flop in it. He looked like a seal. Watching him in the water was my favorite.

There was something majestic about Woody. He always looked like he was deep in thought. His eyes were endearing and you instantly fell in love with him. Plus, his hair was beautiful, so he fit right in with the Thorkelson clan :) He was a full bred Chocolate Lab with the longest tongue I had ever seen. I remember the first time I took Woody for a walk - he sure walked me. On the way back, our neighbor's two pit bulls attacked my puppy. I just remember screaming for someone to help. My poor Woody was a little scratched up, but it didn't keep him from dragging me home.

We walked a lot in the summers back when he was young, but any walk became this super long stop and go activity. Woody did not like walking in the heat and anytime he could find the shade of a tree, there he would lie until he decided to get up and go again. He was my type of dog.

One year for Christmas, I got a puppy. His name was Bubba. Woody instantly loved my Bubba. Woody and Bubba often got lost out exploring and it always scared us. One day Dad wanted me to wait for him after swim practice. He told me that Bubba and Woody had left our yard again, but this time Bubba had been hit. I remember crying in the garage with Woody for weeks after I lost Bubba. Poor Woody really understood what was going on because he had lost his best friend too. He was never really the same after that. I guess that is when he started seeming old to me.

Woody was in Christmas cards with us. He was the one to scare all the crazy youth who would attempt to TP our house (little did they know, the minute you said his name he would let you come and go as you please). Woody was always playing games and would even jump up on the trampoline where his nails would just slip and slide so that he couldn't even stand up. Woody loved riding in the back of the suburban. Those were the days...all the windows down or else you'd smell like dog, but having Woody there to lick at the wind was so worth it. He loved us and we really do love him.


The Puppy Song - by Harry Nilsson

If only I could have a puppy
I'd call myself so very lucky
Just to have some company
To share a cup of tea with me
I'd take my puppy everywhere
La la la la I wouldn't care
Then we'll stay away from crowds
With signs that say no dogs allowed
Oh we... I know he'd never bite me
We... I know he'd never bite me

3 comments:

Francesca said...

I'm sorry about your puppy. He seemed really cute (I don't think I ever met him).

p.s. "Plus, his hair was beautiful, so he fit right in with the Thorkelson clan." Ha! Finally you admit it! I win!

thorkgal said...

:( Not fun.

Unknown said...

Lovely tribute. Thanks Honey.