Thursday, February 17, 2011

Haunting in 889

This has been a long time coming and happened probably over a month ago...but it is a good story.

My dear roommate Melanie...she loves, or did love, watching Ghost Hunters (my favorite) and loved even more, watching Ghost Adventures (which is totally not real and I am not a big fan of).  We went through a period of time where this was on our tv pretty often.  This left Melanie pretty spooked and on edge most nights.

One night, Mel and I were the only ones home.  We were upstairs getting ready for bed.  I had just blow dried my hair and had actually been in bed for a few minutes.  We were just chatting when we heard a huge bang downstairs.  We froze and a few seconds later we heard my blow dryer turn on...We both screamed a little but then I started thinking about what could have happened.  My blow dryer is super old and half broken so I just thought that the bang could have been my dryer falling off the counter and turning on because the switch is sensitive.  Even after explaining this to Melanie, with the dryer making noise in the background, we were still spooked.  I decided to be brave, but told Mel that she had to come with me.  I dragged her with me and she was still a full two arms length behind me.

We opened our bedroom door.

 Froze.

Waited for some courage to build.

Walked to the stairs.

The dryer sounded extra spooky and loud as it echoed through our small house.  I started walking down the stairs, but Mel wasn't moving which meant I wasn't going much further.  I reached back for her, held her hand, and tried so fearlessly to walk down the stairs.  We got the the bottom of the stairs and she ran to hide in the corner furthest from the bathroom and refused to move.

So, big, brave me walks to look into the bathroom all alone AND THE BLOW DRYER IS STILL ON THE COUNTER!  It did NOT fall off like I thought.  I ran back to her screaming and we sprinted up the stairs (mind you, Mel is doing all of this, still recovering from her ACL surgery).

What was the big bang?  How did my dryer turn on?  The questions and absurd answers raced through my head.  Once we get upstairs we realize we didn't fix anything.  My dryer was still going.

We inched our way back down the stairs.  I ran to the bathroom and hit the switch on the mad haunted appliance and then back to Melanie as fast as I could.  Then we sprinted back up the stairs. 

Once back in bed and hiding under my covers, I told Mel that I just flipped the switch when I should have unplugged it.  It could turn back on!! As we were discussing what we might have to do next, we heard the basement door open. 

"Helllooo!?!"
"Hey girls"- Jen, our roomate
"JEN! Could you unplug the blow dryer?!" 
"uhhh...sure." 

She comes up the stairs, sort of laughing.  We tell her the story and she says, "Oh!  I was wondering why you wanted me to unplug a blow dryer - it's not like a straightener or anything..."

Since then, I have tried using my blow dryer.  A few weeks ago it started smoking on me and I have permanently switched to using Melanie's until I buy a new one.  In fact, the haunted one made it's way into the trash can on Saturday.


2 comments:

T'Jae said...

i knew that place of yours was haunted. the television turned on by itself too!

Jen said...

Hehe even though you wrote this post awhile ago and it happened even more of awhile ago, it still makes me giggle...our apartment seriously has its moments...We probably have some creeper living down in the basement or something...gross