Tuesday, June 7, 2011

a week of ups and downs

So much happened last week.  I have never been through so many ups and downs and, even now, I am still recovering.

Monday started last week with the sad news of a student passing away.

Tuesday was the first day of our last week of school.

Wednesday I presented my 6th grade students at their 6th grade graduation.  I would like to say that I was strong and said marvelous things about them without crying, but I was not strong at all.  I sobbed...I said great things about them but I am not sure many people caught any of my words through my flood of tears.  I sure was not excpecting myself to be quite that emotional.  Those kids have changed my life and it all hit me at that moment (not that it hasn't been apparent all year!).

Thursday was field day - all fun and games outside - until a student went missing and not just any student but my nonverbal student.  He is my boy.  I won't go into detail but that was probably the scariest thing I have ever gone through.  Poor kid knew he was in trouble when he saw me.  He pulled me in for a hug and gave me a big kiss on the cheek.

Friday was our last day of school and the kids were done by 10:15, so I only had a few kids at school that day.  My great principal let the special ed team leave at 12:00 for Nate's funeral.  What an amazing family.  I was so impressed by their composure, love, and confidence.  I loved seeing pictures of Nate as a chunky little baby.  I loved that his casket was bright yellow with black trims, just like the buses he loved so much.  I love seeing his "Time go home?" quote displayed on a tile placed above his casket.  I loved seeing a few of my students and their families there, supporting one another, finding comfort together.

Saturday I got to come back to Eagle Mountain.  One of my students was baptized and it was an absolutely wonderful baptism.  The spirit was so strong and my sweet student was so obviously full of joy and it was definitely contagious.  A few of my other students were there too.  It was the best way to end my week and to know that I can still see my students even when school is out.

This week I really felt the fragility of life.  The way it can change dramatically in an instance.  I felt my Heavenly Father's love as I saw the healing power in the peace felt by Nate's family and again in the sacred baptism ordinance that my student participated in.  I am so grateful for my job, for the sweet spirits that shine for me everyday.  I don't know how I am going to survive all summer without them!

1 comment:

thorkgal said...

I'm so glad to hear about your tears. I do the same thing!!! I'm such a boob when it comes to stuff like that. Then life moves on...