Saturday, May 30, 2009

SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!

The Special Olympics are at BYU. How cool is that?! I have always heard such great things about this program and this weekend it is here.

One of the sweet girls I worked with back in San Marcos called me a few months ago to tell me she was participating in the Special Olympics down in San Diego. She was going to be playing basketball and I was so so proud of her. I had never actually seen the Special Olympics and it was definitely something I always wanted to experience.

So today provided the perfect opportunity. I went over for just about an hour and cheered, smiled, and gave hugs. What I had studied in my adaptive physical education class was being used all around me. My friends from Timpanogos High School were there. They were out playing softball and it was so great to see them playing team sports and actually enjoying themselves. I saw one of my favorite students out there with his hat on sideways and a finger in his mouth. He is the cutest kid ever and when he runs it looks like he just might fall forward. I was really only in this class maybe once a week so I didn't expect him to recognize me but when he saw me he came running - one of the greatest hugs of my life.

Times like this remind me that I am going to have the most rewarding job. I am amazed at the talent and skill of these students and even more amazed at the love that they give to everyone around them. They have so much to teach me and I can't wait to learn!

1 comment:

Alison Rae said...

Thank you for bringing me along, it was a truly rewarding experience!