Saturday, March 14, 2009

VEGAS. Year Numero Dos. And I am STILL Alive.

So, for two years now, my annual MWC Tournament trip to Vegas has brought my roommate and I close encounters with...well, accidents that could have been quite serious.

Last year we were driving home Saturday night, after the championship game (which we lost). I guess we weren't in the greatest of moods and people were telling us that the weather was really bad up by Cedar City. We did not want to hear that. The game got out at 8ish and we just wanted to get back to Provo. Just to be safe I texted Tommy Barnum and asked him where he was, if it was ok if we spent the night with his family. He said it was totally fine, of course, but by then Aubrey and I decided that really the weather wasn't that bad and that we could make it. So I just told him we were going to drive through. We were about an hour to St. George when Aubrey was decided that maybe we should just stop. She went to text Tommy and tell him we changed our minds when she saw that my last text to him never sent anyway - he was still planning on us stopping. Coincidence? Definitely not. Did we take that as a sign to stop? You better believe it. It was so nice stopping and it is always fun to be with Cliffy and Lynne. They made us cinammon rolls and stalked us up with apples and oranges. We made the trip safe...until about 20 miles south of Provo. We were going through gas way too fast and before I knew it I could hardly accelerate before my car just revved and revved. For some reason AAA in Salt Lake was closed (it was Sunday...but really AAA?) and a cop came and pushed us off to an exit. We sat there for 2+ hours (no joke) and to make a long story short, when the tow truck man started talking to us he made us realize how lucky we were we stayed in St. George the night. I guess the snow was horrible and cars were stuck in snow all night. We would have been stuck out there, waiting in the freezing cold.

OK - and this happened just TODAY!

I had been driving all weekend inVegas and once again we were not the happiest as we lost in the semis. Plus, for those of you who are curious, my voice has not yet fully returned, and I am still not feeling so hot. Aubrey volunteered to drive to go pick up the boys driving home with us and take the first shift. We all stop to stock up on gas and soda and Aubrey walks back to the car and asks all the boys if they want to drive. I was confused and told her that if she really don't want to drive - I so can. But Brandon volunteered. We were on the 15 for no more than 2 minutes when we hear the squeal of tires. Just a few hundred feet in front of us a big trailer has come unhitched from the truck and is sliding across the three lanes and towards us. None of us have time to scream. Brandon kept control of my car and we stop maybe a foot from the trailer. We were stuck between the median and the trailer. The trailer stopped less then four feet from the median. None of us could move. I remember checking my review mirror and being shocked that in this traffic, no one had been behind us and we were not in some huge wreck. The ginormous RV next to us was smoking at the tires from stopping so quickly. We had to reverse to continue our drive to Provo. Aubrey told us then that when she got into the car to drive she knew she wasn't supposed to. Brandon said that he had said a prayer just minutes before that happened and that he watched as the trailer came unhitched and slide towards us.

I am so grateful that we recognize promptings of the spirit and are in direct and constant communication with our Heavenly Father.

Overall Vegas was warm, but sort of a bust considering we didn't do so well in the tournament. I guess there is always next year :)


<-- The drive to Vegas. Luckily Brandon joined us for the trip home.

No comments: