Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'll be your voice

This morning I went down to Payson High School to do some transition/academic observation in their special ed program. I have been sick the last few days and my voice is pretty close to gone. One of the sweet girls in the class was talking to me about what she wanted to make to eat. When I started to respond she stops and goes, "What's wrong with your voice!?" I just went ahead and told her that it had disappeared. Her reaction was adorable. "It disappeared? I want to find it." So she placed her hands on my neck and then looked in my mouth. "Do you see it?" She told me that she couldn't find it but she said, "I'll be your voice."

The more I have thought about it, the more amazing the experience seems to me. She offered to be my voice. I can still hear her saying that to me. She, who can only communicate minimally, offered to do something that I was having trouble with. Her life has to be much more difficult than mine, yet she wanted to help me. Last semester I took a class all about augmentative and alternative communication devices to use in my classroom. We stressed that we are going to be their voice. It was such an eye opener to be on the other side of the situation. I was just reminded once again how wonderful my students are and how much I can learn from them.

4 comments:

Nana said...

Me, the eternal Seminary teacher, immediately thought of the Savior. I imagined missionaries making that same promise to Him, "I'll be your voice". The things we learn from children! Love, Sis. States

Ashley said...

I love that! What a cool experience.

Erin Hoy said...

That is such a great experience!!! Good job for writing it down so that you will always remember it :)

thorkgal said...

All these comments are great but we never found out... did you find it??? Don't leave us hanging, Ha ha. That is the sweetest thing ever. Your the best.