Friday, May 15, 2020

trying to get pregnant again


at the end of 2018, we still weren't pregnant. which wasn't our norm - trying for so long without success. if you've read my previous posts, you can see why that was so hard.

so, i can now understand infirtility in the aspece of someone who is miscarrying often and someone who can't get pregnant.

i went and saw the doctor who had done my ectopic surgery a few weeks after the surgery, june/july of 2018. i asked him if i would need to have an hsg done, something that i had read most doctors require after ectopic pregnancies & a procedure i had done before. he told me it wasn't necessary because they had removed my entire tube. i went with it.

months continued to come and go. along with my period. like clockwork. & each month i found myself mourning a pregnancy that hadn't happened.

i continued to do research. there is so much that i just did not know! did you know that women have a dominant overy? did you know that they don't alternate dropping eggs every other month?! whichever side has the "queen egg" gets to drop that month! i had no idea. and how was i to know if my left ovary was my dominant one or not - obviously that would mess with my opportunity to get pregnant if it kept dropping eggs and there was not fallopian tube to guide it to my uterus. then there were articles that said one fallopian tube could move its arm over to the other side to possibly catch a ready egg. it is all quite fascinating and deserves a lot more research on my part - maybe someday.

anyway, 2018 wrapping up. the doctor who had done my surgery told me i would be back in a few months, pregnant. but it had been over six months and nothing.

i called a different doctor - one who comes highly recommended by the doctors in our ward. getting in to see her was like jumping through hoops. back in may 2018, when i knew something was wrong with my pregnancy, i had called her to try and schedule an appointment. they needed my pap history (something no other doctor had ever required before seeing me) which meant i had to call utah. they needed a signed release so i had to go in to the doctors office here and fill out a form that they faxed to my utah doctor. it was such a mess. and by the time they had gotten back to me i had already lost my baby and my tube and wanted nothing to do with them.

by october of 2018 and still not pregnant, i called the recommended obgyn again. i had to cry for an appointment because they didn't have my pap history anymore (seriously healthcare in arkansas is crazy). they got me in after thanksgiving. i finally talked to my new obgyn and she rolled her eyes when i told her my surgery doctor told me i did not need an hsg. she told me that it is something she recommends after every surgery in/around your uterus and i had had a c section and ectopic since my last one. that was scheduled for february 27th.

i figured that since i had already experienced an hsg, it would be no big deal. i was wrong. in utah, the nurse came and held my hand. she was there with me. here, it was very cold, sterile, and lonely. and it hurt much worse. turned out that all my scar tissue had adhered my cervic shut! sorry for the tmi, but suddenly why i wasn't getting pregnant made sense.

and guess what. the next cycle, we got a positive pregnancy test!

picture taken March 21st, 2019

No comments: