Sunday, June 17, 2012

a tribute to my dad

Over the last few years, as I have tried to live as an independent adult, it has become very apparent to me just how much my parents have influenced me.  Not only that, but I see all the work that they have put into raising us.  That responsibility becomes second nature to parents as their children grow up.  For example: my mom always passes up something for herself so that she can get somethings for one of us and dad is such a sucker for us and always ends up getting us what we want - especially when it comes to tech gadget stuff.  They hardly notice that they are doing it now. They have given all of their time, practically all of their income, all of their hearts, their love, their patience - their lives to their children.  I am grateful now and I can only imagine how much that gratitude will grow come the day when I have my own family.

Today, I want to talk about my extraordinary dad.  


I was lucky enough to be the first baby.  Old pictures and family videos make it apparent that my parents were learning just exactly how to be parents with me (and I love seeing that).  Dad loved catching us crying on tape.  Or putting his watches around my ankles so I can't walk.  He would bite fruit snacks in half and stick them on my face just to watch as I struggled to find the sticky snack.  I was his little buddy.  He would take me to do everything with him - hike, climb, fish, bike. I was there.

Our lives have changed drastically in the last few months and all I can do is awe at how my dad has handled everything that has come our way.  Dad was the one who did all the news breaking about Porter.  He told the family.  He informed extended family and friends. Hardest of all, he had to explain it all to Porter.  I walked downstairs as they were getting ready to discuss what was going to be happening over the following 9 months or so.  It was too hard for me to watch and I went back upstairs.  When I came back 45 minutes later, they were both teary eyed, but determined and positive.  I have been so impressed by my brother and it is easy to see that he has learned a lot from my dad.  Most importantly, he has learned how to be a worthy priesthood holder by following dad's example.

Dad has taken our current situation and has been able to find ways to serve others through it.  Porter has opened a whole new world of people to us - families who are fighting cancer, just like us.  It has been neat to watch dad reach out to them and develop relationships.  I also watch as my dad allows people to serve him, to serve us as a family.  It is not an easy thing to do, but my dad has done it with a very gracious heart.

He might seem tough, but my dad is a softy.  He has a very sweet heart.  Recently, a football player from our high school back in San Marcos passed away.  Dad had been MHHS football photographer for a few years and had gotten to know Anthony and love him.  When Syd told him, his heart broke.  Together, they cried and went through picture after picture of Anthony, talking about what a great kid he was.

Most of all, I know that my dad loves me.  We have always had dad wrapped around our fingers.  We often deserved the punishment of being sent to our rooms, but we never went without crying.  I can remember on multiple occasions, me lying in bed, crying, so sad...but it would only last for only a few minutes before dad would come up and cry with us.  He hated getting mad at us and always felt bad after.  I love that I can remember those moments because they have become so precious to me.

Just a few days after we found out Porter had cancer, I left for a cruise.  I was supposed to meet at Cami's house at 4:45 in the morning.  She called me at 4:50.  That is what woke me up.  It had been an emotionally exhausting weekend and all of the sudden, I was in a panic because I wasn't going to make my flight and therefore miss my cruise.  I ran upstairs to wake my mom up and beg her to take me to the airport.  Dad heard me explain what was happening to my half asleep mother and shot out of bed.  I am so grateful for that half hour we got to spend in the car together. 

I have found a lot of my dad in me and I am proud to be his daughter. I am a sobbing mess as I reminisce on all the greatness that makes up my dad.  I am so blessed to have such a strong and loving father.  No doubt I am a daddy's girl - always and forever his little kukiluki.

No comments: