Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Poroto...

Is 16!

I can't believe it.  He got all grown up on me.

16 is huge!  With it comes:
- A license
- Dating

I know that I am partial, but let me tell you why I have the world's greatest brother.


(First, can I just say that I have more pictures of/with Porter than possibly anyone else.  And each one has a story to go with it. )

I can't even find the right word to describe how challenging the last few months have been for Porter.  To find out you have cancer is devastating.  You have two options - to mope and be sad or to simply be happy.  Porter has such a positive attitude about the situation.  I have not heard him complain once about how terrible the chemo is, how terrifying it is to know that in just a few months you will be using a prosthetic, or how miserable it is to lose your hair.  Not only does he never complain, but he is still constantly making us all laugh.  You can't help but smile when you are with Porter.  He is witty and quick.  The other night, me, mom, and Port were leaving the hospital.  He kind of stumbles and then says, "So mom, you want me to drive right?" Then he just starts laughing.  I love him.  Cancer has become a part of his life.  At first, we would do anything he asked and after awhile, we started giving attitude back. He quickly learned a new trick.  He would ask us to do something and if we hesitated he would just softly say, "cancer" and later "amputation".  He knows exactly how to get to us.

He is also one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet.  I would like to think that this is due to us sisters.  He is more sensitive than most - except for when he is trying to get on your nerves because he is good at that too.  He definitely puts others before himself.  He will give up what he likes to make someone else happy.  He rarely says no.  As we were leaving the hospital the other night, there was a group of people behind us.  Guess who held the door open for all of them? Yes.  Porter did.  Stud right?!  He looks for every little opportunity to serve.

I have told these stories before, but I think they are such a good show of his character.  When he knew that cancer was a possibility, Porter bravely said, "I'd rather it be me with cancer than anybody else."  Porter is not your typical 16 year old.  Then when we found out that it was actually, in fact, cancer, the doctor asked my parents if he was a good kid.  I think that is when dad got the most emotional...because Porter is such a good kid and in fact, probably the best.  The doctor said that Porter will only become better because of his new trial.  I can't even imagine how he can get any better.

He loves spending time with my students and he is seriously adorable when he does.  They love him.  He has come to visit my class on numerous occasions and has traveled with us on a few trips.  He even came with me to the special olympics to cheer on a student.  He goes out with dad and they fix lawns, help people move, etc.  In San Diego they had some type of "fruit to the homeless shelters" program set up.

Not only is he funny and kind, but he is so handsome.  He was maybe the most darling baby there ever was.  He was chunky, happy, and round.  He was quite perfect.  He gets smothered like you wouldn't believe (and times that by 10 now that he has cancer).

You can't tell me you wouldn't smother him too...

When I was about 12, I went on a walk with a friend through our neighborhood.  Two year old Porter really wanted to come, but for unknown reason, my friend and I didn't want to have him with us.  When we got back from our walk, we learned that Porter had tried following us and a neighbor found him wandering up our street.  It broke my heart and I saw how much that boy meant to me.  I also realized how much he looked up to me.  Now, I am the one looking up to him,

He has become my hero.  He has kept his head high and a smile on his face.  I am amazed by his courage, his love, and his surety in Heavenly Father's plan.  Porter is going to do amazing things in this life.  He has no idea the impact he has made over the last few months.  People who don't even know him have told me how inspirational he is. Visit porterstrong.com to follow Porter through his journey.


Happy birthday Porter!  I love you with every piece of my heart.

1 comment:

Georgi said...

Tati, that is beautiful :) He's blessed to have such a wonderful sister like you :) Love you