Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July

I was sitting in relief society yesterday. We were talking about patriotism, being in America, and such because of the holiday weekend. An elderly lady mentioned how much she learned to love our country in school, by daily saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the patriotic songs to America. She felt that this spirit of patriotism is not being taught, learned, or felt in schools now. I admit that I didn't really learn that spirit while I was in school, but it was something I felt every fourth of July, every baseball game I went to.

I began to think about my class. Both years that I have taught, my kids have recited the Pledge Allegiance every morning and every Monday last year we sang the Star Spangled Banner. Some of my kids don't even know their name, or can't answer little questions, but they know some, if not all, of the words. It's an amazing thing. A little reminder of the blessing it is, how lucky we are, and how we should not take it for granted.

Happy fourth!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: