Monday, September 10, 2012

Porter Strong Update

It has been awhile since I have had the chance to really sit down and gather what has happened the last month.

It was just a little over a month ago when I sat in Primary's with my family as Porter followed the doctor to have his leg amputated below the knee.  He had a cast on it for two weeks and a little break from chemo.  During that time, we got used to seeing a blue cast.  Just a week after surgery, we had the opportunity to watch as Porter became a Thursday's Hero for BYU's football team.  My love for that team has only increased 100x since then (a feat that I didn't even think was possible!). We received a grand tour of the football office, watched a few videos - one of Porter that they had shown the team earlier that morning and one full of getting to know players/coaches and highlights from previous seasons.  Then we watched the last half hour of practice, drank team gatorade, and enjoyed some sun.  When the boys were done, they came over and showered Porter with gifts, kind words, and promises to go fishing.  They all signed his cast and a Y flag.  Porter also got to sign a flag that the team has run onto the field before every game.  Let me tell you how neat it is to watch the flag come out and seeing my brother's signature right in the center of the "Y".  When BYU played our first game against Washington State, Porter's signature was the only one on the flag. 


Currently, the cast has been off for a few weeks and he has some silicon "shrinker" device around his stub.  I am pretty sure it has a name, I just can't think of it off the top of my head.

All in all, Porter is doing great.  For the most part, he is happy and upbeat.  He doesn't get why people think he is an inspiration which makes it all the more touching.  That boy has one solid outlook on life and he is anxious to be able to go out with his buddies again.  Just yesterday he was saying that he felt like he held his friends back, which breaks my heart, but at the same time he turns to his sisters to come sit and watch movies with him.  I love how excited he gets when he wants to hang out with me!  Yep.  No doubt about it.  I have the best brother in the whole world.  I love him.

So, here is my Porter Strong Fundraiser plug!  It will be on Saturday, September 22 in Draper.  I feel silly asking people to come because we have already received so so much, but if you don't already have plans, just stopping by would mean the world to me and my family.



*This morning, I woke up and saw that a video had been posted to the Porter Strong fb page.  Thank you to the girls who created it.  I couldn't hold back the tears.  It was such a sweet video full of people who are supporting Porter.  I will put the link up later today.

No comments: