Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Today is my dad's birthday!

For some reason, thinking of him and all that he has done for me, always makes me tear up.  There is no man out there like my dad.  They always say a girl marries a man like her father.  I know I am not married, but I am almost instantly drawn to men who remind me of my dad.  And there are many reasons why...

One of the things I love most about dad is his sweet testimony.  He is so strong and firm in the gospel.  I don't know that I have ever seen him show as much emotion as he does when he bares his testimony.

He does not make decisions without the Lord. Once upon a time, I was put on a wait list for the Special Ed program at BYU.  It was dad who talked me through it.  That is one of my favorite memories with him.  I sat on the floor in some random hallway in the library on the phone with dad.  He just told me of all his experiences and challenges he had been going through at that time.   He told me how his career path had been made through prayer.  He had recently quit his job and didn't necessarily have another job in line, but he wasn't worried.  I cherish that conversation.

He laughs.  And makes others laugh with him.

He works hard.  When life gets hard, he works harder.

He values service and has made sure that service was a part of our lives growing up.

He is wonderful with babies.  They love him.  It's no secret, he is so ready to be a grandpa.

He loves a good game.  I love going with dad to cheer on our favorite teams.

He bleeds blue.  And taught me to bleed blue too.

He is willing to try anything and is good at most everything he tries.

He taught me Van Halen.

He is logical and can help me figure out things that us emotional girls like to over analyze.

He loves my mom and shows it. Often.

He has supported me in every dream I have had.

He loves adventure.  Thanks to him I can camp, ride terrifying roller coasters, hike, fish, and be talked into jumping off a rock.

I love my dad.  Together, my parents have gotten our family through all types of trials.  I watch in awe as they support my brother in his fight.  I see so much of my dad in Porter - more than just the fact that Porter is my dad's mini me.  I have my parents to thank for who I am today.



Dad,
I am so proud to be able to call myself your daughter.  I am who I am because of your example, support, and love.  I am at a loss of words.  Nothing can express how grateful I am for all that you have given to me. I love you with all of my heart.

xoxo,
your kukiluki



1 comment:

Aleigh Joy Moore said...

Aww I love this! Your dad is awesome and so are the rest of you Thorkelson's :)