Saturday, July 17, 2010

San Marcos. The SM. My home.

This post has taken me awhile. It's one that I don't really want to do. I have been thinking about it for a week now and I guess it's just the hope that not doing it means it won't happen.

I turned 8 the summer my family left Orange County and headed south for San Diego. I remember thinking it was the worst idea ever, that I would never make friends in San Marcos, and that my parents were going to have to drive me back to see all of my friends every week. Needless to say, San Marcos quickly became my home and a place I have begged my parents to never leave....but the time has come and they are soon to join me in Utah.

I might be biased, but I believe it is one of the most beautiful cities around. It is located in Northern San Diego, making it a prime location of 15 minutes from the beach, half hour from downtown, and half an hour to southern Orange County. San Marcos is well known for its Restaurant Row and it recently opened the Grand Plaza (it's got a Nordstroms Rack, Marshals, Ulta - all the essentials). But then San Marcos also has a very quaint country feel with the rolling hills, miles and miles of horse trails, farms, and the Twin Oaks Valley.

The Thorkelson San Diego Adventure actually began in Escondido, at the top of a hill. After a 6 years there we moved down the hill and into San Marcos. We stayed in the same ward, school district, and everything but now lived on an acre lot with a puppy. Our house is a unique one in our area and looks a wooden cabin. It grows on you though and I think it would be the perfect grandma and grandpa house. Mom made the inside a beautiful home and my friends and I have spent countless nights just sitting in the family room.

I am trying to have a good attitude about it all, but it has caused me to reflect a lot on the last 14 years of my life. How much I have grown in that time. The hundreds of people I have met, loved, and learned from. The silly and wild adventures from exploring Emerald Heights to TPfights to spending every Friday night at Killer Pizza From Mars. I remember my very first friend, meeting her on our first Sunday, and knowing, even now that I rarely see her, that she will ALWAYS be my best friend. I went to Woodland Park when it was an elementary school. I was also the first class to graduate from Mission Hills High School. My first job was for the City of San Marcos as a lifeguard and I did it for years! I got to know so many kids, both totally adorable and some amazingly obnoxious, but I loved them all.

I've talked about my home ward before - TOV. I love them. Sunday was one of the hardest days. I didn't think much of it, just went to church like normal, but then it all hit me as we sang the closing hymn. I love them. I love them. I love them. They are my family.

I have amazing friends in San Marcos. We have all grown a lot and started to go our own ways, but a few of them are still my closest friends. I have also gotten to know quite a few of the kids at the Palomar ward from my few short stints in the singles ward.

So, I haven't lived in San Marcos for the last four years and many think that having my family move doesn't change my life. It will. It is very bittersweet. I hate saying goodbye and I don't want to, but I am thrilled to have my family nearby. I cannot wait for the adventures we will have out here and to see my siblings go through their first snowy winter.

I just spent the last 3 weeks soaking in all of San Marcos that I could. I am already homesick for the beach, Mr.Taco, and my San Marcos.

3 comments:

thorkgal said...

I hear ya... :(
Adventures for all, Utah is going to have a Thorkelson invasion. I can't wait to know where our destination will be.

Cami said...

Tati, I know how you feel... my parents moved from Bountiful last month and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. That last Sunday at my home ward was definitely one of the hardest things ever. Reading your experiences made me re-live mine and seriously made me get all choked up again.
I guess it's a good thing we'll still have each other this next year huh? ;) Love you girl!

Francesca said...

San Marcos without the Thorkelsons? I can't imagine!