Sunday, October 11, 2009

I have a lot to say

As you know, I work with the most adorable kids ever. I don't know how I got so lucky. My heart has just been overwhelmed and is as full as I think a heart can get.Every look they give me fills me with love. I know they love me. On top of them, Conference last week just left me feeling that love is a crucial aspect that many of us are overlooking or avoiding. I am so lucky because everyday I feel my Heavenly Father's love for both me and my students. Everyday I am filled with a Christlike love for them. And everyday they love me back. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It was all about love and the love of God. He at one point said, "Heaven may seem distant at times". I thought about it and realized that with love, I see a glimpse of Heaven everyday. Everyday it seems so close because my students have a relationship to Heavenly Father that we don't yet understand. We had a sub last week who asked me why, if Heavenly Father loved them, would he give them these struggles? She said she had heard the "silly" answers like it is for us to learn to love...I believe that a lot of it is for us to learn that love. Yes, I know there is so much more behind it. I know that their lives are difficult but I believe that they knew their disabilities, physically and mentally, would be their challenge here on earth. Many who can communicate have said that if there was a cure for their disabilitiy they wouldn't want it. I know that they are strong and while I cannot even imagine what that would be like, they are doing it.

This week I just felt my class come together. They have started sharing and giggling together. One of my kids has started saying more words than he has ever said before. He said his colors, good morning, and hello! The behavior issues with another student have begun to decrease. We have really become a class. My techs/aides are also amazing. They are so much fun to talk to and they know that I love these kids.

More on my life - Dad came up for an interview this week. We got dinner together on Thursday. I haven't had one on one time with my dad for so long. It was one of the greatest weekends I have had. We went to Guru's for dinner and we were there for 2 hours just talking. He is such a strong man. He is so close to Heavenly Father and any other family in our situation would be worried about their future, but dad has continued to do the best things and I know that whether my family moves to Logan, Draper, or stays in San Diego, it will be the right thing. Friday night I then drove with my dad and his buddy Jared down to St. George. More time with dad :) Him and Jared reminisced much of the drive and sang their old music and I loved it. They were just having fun. Saturday morning Dad and I visisted Tim. I love the Cummings family. I am so impressed at their strength. When Tim woke up and saw Dad...I will never forget the smile on Tim's face. He was so happy to see dad. We talked for an hour and a half, an hour and a half I won't forget. After that we went back to get Jared and we began the drive back to Provo...but we drove through Snow Canyon and Zion National Park. BEAUTIFUL. We walked a bit at Snow Canyon and I just felt like the little girl again. The little girl my dad and his buddies would take out fishing, hiking, climbing. A good trip.

And then to end this wonderful week - the COUGARS WON :)

3 comments:

Francesca said...

Wow, that was a great post, Tati! Seems like you are really happy right now. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

Unknown said...

Great post honey! See you real soon. Love you lots!

Beki said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and I have to say that this post made me cry. I have a four year old autistic boy and I love him more than anything. It touched me so deeply to hear that teacher of special kids love them just as their parents do. So thank you for loving our kids like you do.