Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thoughts on Prop 8

You all knew this was coming...

California is my home. It always has been, and besides this break here in the land of snow and mountains, I hope it always will be. As most of you know, I am studying to become a Special Educator and one day I would love to return and teach in Southern California.

Prop 8 has recently consumed my thoughts. I think about it all day and it keeps me from sleeping at night. I have never felt so threatened by anything so political, in fact, I hate even getting into politics. I also do not want anyone thinking that I am intolerant or not accepting. I am concerned for the future of my family. This will only be the beginning. Marriage is ordained of God, it is a part of Heavenly Father's great and eternal plan. The Family: A Proclamation to the World explains why my feelings towards families and marriage are so strong.

Back to Prop 8: If it does not pass - my future is completely changed. Most don't realize that this is more than just acknowledging same sex marriages, it is accepting them as normal and they must receive the same liberties heterosexual marriages do. This means that curriculum in public schools must be changed. Everyone remember when you were a child taking sex ed. The most uncomfortable class we all had to sit through - if Prop 8 is not passed, homosexual relationships must be discussed as well. My children will not be learning about that as if it is something we need to accept. Neither will I teach or support that being taught at my school. A teacher in San Francisco recently took her class on field trip - to watch her be married to her female partner. Some how this was a "teachable moment."

Think that is scary? If Prop 8 isn't passed, the only way a church can continue to be tax exempt is if they recognize same sex marriages like they do traditional marriages. I don't even want to think about how this dramatically conflicts with the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the many other religions who have similar views on traditional marriage.

Please take the time and visit protectmarriage.org

11 comments:

Patrick Lindsay said...

With all due respect to your opinion, there is some misinformation in your blog regarding churches being required to accept non-traditional marriages and school curriculum changes.

I will not, however, take any issue with your position. I just respectfully disagree. :)

Erin Hoy said...

Way to go Tati! I don't know what I'm going to do if this thing doesn't pass - so let's just pray and keep working at this so that it does pass and we won't have to stay up at night anymore :)

Erin Hoy said...

By the way - the comment above mine has sadly been misinformed about the effect churches and schools will have if Prop 8 doesn't pass - Here's an article - one of mnay - that explains the issue really well.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91486191

Thorkelsons said...

Patrick's right. There are some unsubstantiated claims being made by Prop 8 supporters, but no one can argue that there won't be some unintended (and by some intended) consequences if Prop 8 does not pass. This article from the NY Times is very good and explains clearly that we will soon face a showdown of religious freedom vs. individual freedoms: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/10/us/10beliefs.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I promote Prop 8 on moral and religious grounds, which is hard to argue. :)

Jason and Kelly said...

Part of it too is that the state won't recognize temple marriages as valid because the church won't marry same sex couples in the temples. If it does not pass, members will have to be civily married before they can be sealed. Also, same-sex relationships can be discussed in classrooms without parental notification. I dont think its right for people to discriminate against homosexuals, but they already have the same rights as any legally marrried couple through civil unions. I think it most people knew all the repurcussions of voting no they would be more likely to do so.

Jason and Kelly said...

President Hinckley: "Nevertheless, and I emphasize this, I wish to say that our opposition to attempts to legalize same-sex marriage should never be interpreted as justification for hatred, intolerance, or abuse of those who profess homosexual tendencies, either individually or as a group. As I said from this pulpit one year ago, our hearts reach out to those who refer to themselves as gays and lesbians. We love and honor them as sons and daughters of God. They are welcome in the Church. It is expected, however, that they follow the same God-given rules of conduct that apply to everyone else, whether single or married."

Tati Smith said...

I just want to thank everybody for your comments. I really appreciate others voices. Patrick, you are right. I think we are jumping that gun, but I also think this will come into play before long. That field trip, for example. Yes, 2 students did not participate, but I am sure they heard all about it. And yes, you can opt out of sex ed, but kids talk. You all hear about it anyway. No matter what - this will change my classroom. And I still firmly believe this will undoubtedly effect churches.

emi. said...

thanks for your post!

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union that is biologically designed to produce its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.

Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.

Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.

Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.

http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html

http://preservingmarriage.blogspot.com/

thorkgal said...

Your Awesome! Really, need I say more??? I think not.

Meagan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meagan said...

TATI! Thanks for the post. I love it.

So yes, last night you were talking about your blog and I thought I'd check it out...I'm not a blog stalker though. :) Love you.

P.S. I had no idea your real name...until now. :)