Wednesday, February 1, 2017

my beehives

while we lived in draper, i got called to be the beehive advisor. at first, i was ecstatic, but then the first sunday came & i felt like i couldn't reach them. i was frustrated & sad, but mostly disappointed. i am a teacher after all, why couldn't i get them to understand these gospel doctrines. i felt like the odd man out at mutual activities, etc. getting them to participate in class was so hard - i was bribing them with candy for each time they contributed to the lesson. it was not what i had expected, especially because as a young woman, i couldn't get enough of my leaders. i truly thought they were the most amazing people ever.


things got better. participation started to come naturally. we learned to be comfortable with each other. we laughed together. my heart, that already loved them because how could you not, began to overflow with love for them. & then we had to move.


that is when i caught a glimpse that maybe they loved me like i had loved (& continue to love) my leaders.


today at work, we spent the day visiting a bunch of schools & different classroom settings to show our new teachers. i was having a tough conversation with a teacher who no longer felt like she could do it - things were too hard.


then i heard someone yell,  "TATI!!!"


& one of my beehives was running into my arms, giving me more than a few hugs & was genuinely excited to see me. it was such a simple thing, but it made me so happy. just thinking about it makes my eyes water up & my heart swell.


as i returned to my conversation, i explained to the teacher that she had been one of my beehives. we started talking about working in young women's, & the teacher told me that she was told that while we might not feel like we are making a difference in these girls' lives, they will look back on their leaders years from now & feel nothing but love for us.


to top it all off, tonight, this beehive's mom texted me to tell me how excited her daughter was to tell her that she had seen me at school. it was the greatest text i have gotten. it was everything i needed to hear. the validation that i did make a difference.


this interaction is one i hope i never forget.


to all of my sweet beehives,

i love you. i miss you. i am amazed at how kind, loving, & strong all of you are! while it was a short 8 or 9 months that i got to spend with you, i learned so much just by watching you. you were competitive, yet compassionate. sweet, yet so spicey. your testimony is strong - remember the feelings of the spirit you are receiving & hold onto those. keep growing. keep learning. lean on your parents. & always remember that i will forever consider you one of my own.

xoxo

No comments: