Thursday, January 23, 2014

Summer dreaming

Last night I got the call.  School was cancelled for today.

This is the third time this month that we haven't had school.  And it isn't because there is a lot of snow, but because it is "bitterly cold" according to weather.com.  We are living with "life-threatening and historic cold air outbreak(s)".  They said that exposure for as little as 5 to 10 minutes could cause frostbite!

I have to admit, weather.com has been a little dramatic, but it makes me feel like I am not being such a baby when I complain that it is freezing.  Our windchill put us at -40° at 9 am this morning.  brrrrrr.

It is so cold that...


the inside of Ashton's car was frozen.  No joke.

It is so cold that Ashton is talking about missing the sun!  This is huge.

My husband has never understood my love for sitting in the sun.  As a young child he got a nasty bad sunburn and is paranoid that it will happen again.  We spent a week last April in San Diego and just the thought of getting a burn made him uncomfortable.  When we went to the beach, as soon as he got out of the water, he hid under towels making sure no part of his body could see the sun.

Last night he told me that he couldn't wait for this summer and sitting in the sun with me!

And today, all I can think of is the fun we will have now that he can appreciate the sun.  I am dreaming of beaches and wakeboarding.  Of cruises and beautiful islands.  Of snorkeling and sea creatures.  Of sand between our toes and the sounds of waves.  Of birds chirping and delicious Mexican food (my ultimate summer craving).  Of tube wars and cliff jumping.  Not all of these will happen, but it is my dream.

Oh the loveliness of summer!

Summer means sun dresses, swim suits, water, lakes, beaches, boats, hiking, shorts, adventures, sunshine and smiles.  Summer is joy.

I could probably write about why I love summer forever.

(And don't worry - we will douse ourselves in sunscreen before any lounging in the warmth of the beautiful sun will happen.)

1 comment:

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Whoa! We both love beaches. Let's just not forget to put some sun screen to keep us protected while enjoying the summer season.