Friday, July 5, 2013

God Bless America!

There is nothing like the 4th of July.  The whole country is united in red, white, and blue.  The day is spent with BBQ's, time with family, and of course, fireworks.  I have loved the 4th since I was a little girl.  It is a magical holiday.


Loving it as a little girl.  With Kelsey and Alyse!

Yesterday was our first Independence Day together and I loved it.  We started the day with Ashton helping me get my bangs back.  I was missing them and I think we did a pretty good job.


My friend Dave invited us to a BBQ that his wife's family does every year.  Brisket, brats, homemade BBQ sauce, salad, and trifle.  What is the 4th without a delicious BBQ?!  After that, we took a good, long nap.  After our nap, I was naturally craving a peanut butter and oreo shake - so we visited DQ.  The Dairy Queen was close to Round Lake, which is where Eden Prairie has their big 4th of July celebration and fireworks.  We got there at 7:00 and fireworks weren't until 10.  Ashton and I took a blanket, listened to a jazz band and wedding bands, and then enjoyed the fireworks.  Can I just say that I miss the days when it was just the sound of fireworks and not music with fireworks.  The music is so loud that it overpowers the firework booms, which are my favorite part!  Regardless, it was still magical.


I have to admit, though, that as wonderful as it was - yesterday was the first time I missed Utah.  I have always spent the 4th of July surrounded by family.
 1. All my family is in Utah
2. Utah really knows how to celebrate Independence Day.
3. My abuela turned 81 yesterday.  Love you grandma!  So much!


Isn't she the sweetest?!

As Ashton and I watched fireworks, I was overcome by the love I have for this great country.

There is so much that is controversial right now and it often hurts my heart - but that will always be a part of politics and a part of our freedom, which then makes me grateful for the controversies.  I am so grateful that we are able to have opinions, beliefs, and the ability to live life the way we want to.  I am also grateful to those who are fighting to keep our country safe.  In the last few years, I have become more sensitive to the spirit of patriotism - and the next paragraph shares a little bit of why.  But as I have gotten older and having seen this country pull together through some terrible things, I have seen amazing power, love, and unity.

I was reading my past 4th of July posts and I was touched by something I had shared, so I will share it again.  As a teacher, I have said the Pledge of Allegiance with my students every morning.  When we would stand up to say the Pledge, all of my students would participate.  They all knew to stand and place their right hand over their heart.  All of them would look at the flag.  I have had several students who can't talk or only know a few words, but often, they were able to recite parts of the Pledge with us.  It brings the spirit of patriotism into my life and it is one of the greatest blessings of teaching.

I am so very proud to be an American.

1 comment:

GrandmaNutt said...

I love getting to know you Tati, through your blog. You are an amazing person with a tender heart. And, awesome bangs....they make your eyes look so fabulous.