Monday, January 7, 2013

happy last chemo

Since April of this year, my blog has mostly been about my brother's battle with bone cancer.  Well...

On December 9, 2012 Porter left Primary Children's for the very last time.

I remember walking into Primary's that Sunday afternoon excited for Porter to come home for good.  I didn't even think about getting emotional.  I was focused on getting Porter and going home.  As we were getting ready to leave, the nurses had him come out into the hall and ring the bell as they sang, "Happy last chemo".  I will never forget the smiles on their faces while they sang.  I have never felt so much happiness.  There is no way for me to express the amount of gratitude that I will forever have for the nurses and doctors who helped my baby brother.  Porter rang that bell as hard as he could and smiled the whole time.




In a few weeks, Porter will go back to high school. Slowly, life is going to get back to normal-ish.  We are still waiting for his hair to grow back and until it does, I will continue to smother his smooth head with kisses and rubs.  He is still working on his prosthetic, but he can get around just fine.  He even talks about snowboarding in the near future.

These last 9 months have been the hardest and the most amazing 9 months of my life.  Like I have said so many times before, I have never been so blessed and felt my Heavenly Father's love so strong.  I have received words of encouragement from friends I haven't talked to since high school.  People who don't even know me and my family have had Porter in their prayers.  Friends and family have looked out and taken care of us.  They have dropped things in their lives to support us.  We have been on the receiving end of the service spectrum all year.  My heart has been touched over and over again.  I have been forever changed by this experience and I am grateful for it.

At the end of all of this, I can truly say that cancer is the worst.  It sucks (I hate that word, but it is the truth). I would never ever wish for anyone to go through the experience of having it or watching a loved one fight it. It breaks my heart when I hear about another person fighting cancer and  I can't help but cry whenever I stumble upon another cancer story.  BUT, if someone is going through that fight, I hope they have an experience similar to ours - where the blessings just pour upon them.  It is amazing how much peace I have felt during all of this.  Life stood still.  An eternal point of view came into focus.  What matters most in life became obvious.  This cancer brought my family together in a way nothing else could.  Cancer has made me a better person.


Syd took this today.  I am so proud of my Porter.  This is probably my favorite post cancer picture and I had to share it.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

That picture is amazing. You guys are all so awesome and inspirational. What an amazing brother you have!

Michelle said...

I love you Tati! You are so eloquent and it is all so true.